SPEAK!!!


Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Time for some serious thinking...

K, this may be the longest post ever written in my blog. Let me begin by the experience I had when I attended the SPOP finals in the Singapore Indoor Stadium with my friends last week. I tell you, the sound system there is MARVELOUS!!! Any average singers sing on the mic will sound heavenly there. LOL! Serious! The lightings and stage are as great too. Oh! And the instrumentalists there, POWER!!!

After sometime of listening the composed songs there, things start to get a little boring, which can be considered very boring to some people there. The disppointing thing is that people who attended the concert went specially to support their idols, not for the Singapore Music. And its very rude for them to leave the place immediately after their idols had performed. The place was filled with people leaving after each particular performances end, so distracting and such a disgrace to Singapore when the foreign performers saw it there. The worse thing is even my SONG COMPOSING CLUB friends started complaining of feeling hungry and bored. Complaining for a moment is understandable, but complaining endlessly till the performance end is irrrrrrrritating. Please, I was already hungry before attending the concert. Imagine if the same thing happens for SCC concert.

And finally they wanted to leave. I was quite upset and disappointed during that time, but I know its wrong to make them stay and continue watching when they don't feel like it. So I just kept very quiet and leave together until the point when I saw Ivy hesitating to leave the place also. Finally someone who appreciates music! And so me and Ivy suggested for them to leave 1st while we continue watching. But they insisted to stay, so nvm, up to them. And btw, I'm not pissed during that time, I'm just disappointed. Haha!

Enough about that. Few weeks ago, I had an urge to learn a new instrument. Something that is not a common instrument in a band. Firstly, I tried violin last year, but its abit hard to play and I'm stuck at the basics. Wasted my money buying it. Next, I thought of learning the saxophone. However, saxophones are extremely expensive instruments which I can't afford to buy. What happens if I can't learn it well. LOL! Finally, after analysing the different instruments on the web, I came across the instruments harmonica and ocarina. Ocarina sounded quite disturbing to me, and so I chose the harmonica since its a cheap and easy instrument. I bought it the next day and begin practising till now. (I'm sure I did mention this in my previous post and so I will not go into details of the difficulties I faced while playing it) Oh! And I was very inspired when I watch this clip:



Yesterday, me and Winston was having a conversation about our dreams. What we wanna be in future and how to accomplish it. It was then when I suddenly came to think that I did not have a specific aim to go for. I did mentioned under "My Ambition" on the left hand side of this blog, but thats not specific enough for me to aim for. Winston had already strategised his way towards his aim and I'm still stuck without a proper aim.

(Warning! For the following messages are not mainly for reading purpose actually, its more for me to keep it in my blog like a diary. If you wanna read, you're welcome to do so, cos it only talk about me, me and ME! LOL!)

And so I went home to think about it. I always wanted to perform in big stages. I'm addicted to performing, composing and arranging songs. However, I do not like the feeling of performing alone on stage. I tried it before and I feel very uncomfortable to have all the focus on me alone on stage. Afterall, I'm a very shy person. LOL!!! I want to form a band, performing and touring around places like Wu Yue Tian. I want to be a keyboardist cum harmonizer. I totally doubt the idea of me being a main vocalist as I HATE memorising the lyrics and my high notes.

For me, I don't believe that professional instrumental skills are the key factor for a good performace. I strongly believe in being outstanding and able to work well together. With those factors, being able to perform it simple and stable is good enough for a band in my opinion. Think about it, how much can the average audience appreciate when you are showing off your high level skills. You can just simply make your guitar or keyboard volume louder during the interlude and move with the music and people will think that you are a PRO! Haha! And I also believe that good harmonizing and vocals is a must to make a good performance.

Anyway, this dream of mine starts to fade away when I'm having so much difficulty finding the right people to form the band with. Another thing is that it seems that the only way to achieve it in Singapore is by joining Superband, but I will not join it unless I get the right people to work with. However, the 3 favourite bands of mine never fails to keep me going. They are Yellowcard, Mute Math and Melee. For those who do not know who they are, I've embed their video below:

Yellowcard:


Mute Math:


Melee:


Knowing that I may faced the danger of failing, I actually have to plan a backup plan. My course diploma isn't going to help me with it with such a low GPA to get to work in media related companies like Mediacorp, unless I used an alternative way...
Having much thoughts, being a music producer like Timberland may be what I will be interested in having as a backup. That is why I tried so hard to compose different genres. I can't just survive on mainstream songs to achieve that. Hard to achieve, but not as hard as the earlier aim which I mentioned just now. For those who do not know who he is, he is a music producer who made songs for various artists in America, mainly for Hip Hop, R&B, Dance and Electro songs and sometimes featuring in MTVs. This is one of his songs (he's the guy singer):


Hai... I totally lost the mood of play cabal online suddenly. So much think to ponder about... Have to worry about superband also. Somemore, have to worry about an upcoming collaboration band competition with Ben. K, gtg play cabal online, cya!

No comments:

My Hamster [Name: Atrium]

My Hamster [Name: Atrium]

SCC THE MOVIE (may take some time to load, pls be patience)

FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T VIEW THE SCC MOVIE VIDEOS BELOW, YOU CAN VIEW THEM THROUGH THE FOLLOWING YOUTUBE LINKS (but in a very low quality): Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO25M3DHkY Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c08aU1dbOSc Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-PKXQ6i_Vg Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1aydsx3cI Part 1: Part 2: Part 3: Part 4:

My Final Year Film Project - 遗 Part 2

My roles in this film: Sound recordist, Sound designer and Music composer

My Final Year Film Project - 遗 Part 1

My roles in this film: Sound recordist, Sound designer and Music composer

Move

Produced on August 2008 Melody by Me Lyrics by Jia Yi Arrangement by Me Performers: Winston(drums), Me(keyboard & vocal), Tiffany(vocal) & Ken (guitar)

Time

Produced on May 2008 Melody by Me Lyrics by Jia Yi Arrangement by Me Performers: Me (vocal) & Edmund (guitar)

解答

Produced on May 2008 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Edmund(guitar) & Me (vocal & keyboard)

我们的符号

Produced on July 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me, Johnny & Jiayi Performers: Johnny(vocal), Qiu Yun(drums), Me(back-up vocal) & Jiayi(keyboard)

Ai Zhong Dian (requested by Johnny to put this up on the net)

Produced on 2007 Melody by Johnny Lyrics by Johnny Arrangement by Chien Wen, Tiffany, Johnny & Me Performers: Johnny(vocal), Tiffany(piano) & Me(drums)

爱搁浅

Produced on March 2008 Melody by Me Lyrics by ShinRu Arrangement by Me Performers: Wan Ting(flute), Winston(drums) & Me(vocal & keyboard)

Farewell In The Skies

Produced on March 2008 Melody by Winston & Me Lyrics by Winston Arrangement by Winston & Me Performers: Winston(drums) & Me(keyboard & vocal)

世界另一边

Produced on January 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Maxwell(guitar), Johnny(vocal), Me(backup vocal) & Gary(backup vocal)

十六世纪的琴键

Produced on September 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Timothy(violin), Maxwell(guitar), Edmund(bass), Gregory(backup vocal), Larry(backup vocal & keyboard) & Me(vocal & pre-recorded drum beat)

感触

Produced on October 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Zi Qin Arranngement by Me Performers: Wendy(vocal), Zi Qin(vocal), Chien Wen(piano) & Qiu Yun(drums)

战神

Produced on June 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Johnny(vocal), Xiao Qiang(bass), Gregory(guitar), Edmund(lead guitar), Winston(drums), Chien Wen(keyboard), Guolong(backup vocal), Xiao Ling(backup vocal) & Cheryl(backup vocal)

白色钢琴

Produced on November 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Me(vocal), Tze Chow(drums) & Maxwell(lead guitar)

Produced on October 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Hui Jia Arrangement by Me Performers: Hui Jia(vocal), Tiffany (vocal), Jayson(bass), Cynthia(keyboard) & Winston (drums)

笔记的那一页

Produced on December 2006 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Tiffany(vocal) & Me(keyboard)

因为你存在

Produced on January 2008 Melody by Me Lyrics by Gary Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Gary(vocal), Ken(vocal), Me(backup vocal), Winston(bass), Ivy(drums), Gregory(guitar) & Chien Wen(keyboard)

因为你在

Produced on May 2006 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Zhi Wei(vocal), Maxwell(guitar), Larry(keyboard), Winston(drums) & Jayson(bass)

世界另一边

Produced on January 2007 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Me(vocal) & Maxwell(guitar)

以为

Produced on August 2006 Melody by Me Lyrics by Wendy Tan Arrangement by Me Performers: Tiffany(vocal) & Me(piano)